Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cheddar-Chile Corn Muffins

I served these with chili one evening this week. I thought they could use a little more cheese, but everyone enjoyed them. The chilies add a nice kick. =)

I usually use whole wheat flour for baking, but I had no time to grind any, so these were made with unbleached flour. We also used Florida crystals in these, as I didn't take the time to melt down my tub of honey.

Makes: 12-14 muffins
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar or Florida crystals
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles, undrained

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar (Florida crystals), baking powder, salt, onion and cheese. Make a well in the center the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix oil, egg, milk and chiles. Pour liquid ingredients into the well of flour mixture, and stir just until mixed.

Using a large cookie scoop, fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes so the cheese won't stick to the pan.

We heated these to serve with our chili, and had them cool with taco salad the next evening. I prefer them warm, but others liked them cool.

No comments: